‘Timeshare relief’ is an old scam that is evolving as con artists get craftier. They may sound promising, but are really just scams to ‘relieve’ you of your money. The best advice is to always keep your radar up.
“Scams have become very sophisticated,” says Sam DePoy, VP of Federal and Regulatory Affairs for the American Resort Development Association (ARDA).
The timeshare industry is fighting back to make sure owners are not taken advantage of. Both ARDA and the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) take this matter seriously. ARDA and ARDA Resort Owners’ Coalition (ARDA-ROC) have united to stop the misconduct of those deceiving timeshare owners into to paying exit services through fraudulent means. They continue to pursue and support appropriate timeshare resale and transfer legislation in an effort to protect owners against timeshare schemes. For more information, visit www.vacationbetter.org and www.consumer.ftc.gov.
We also have some quick tips for you here:
Top 5 Red Flags
- NEVER pay any money up front – NEVER!
- AVOID companies that offer to buy your week for a large fee.
- DON’T BELIEVE it when you hear the market is “hot,” buyers are lining up or you will get a BIG return.
- BEWARE of unsolicited contact by companies promising to sell your timeshare or eliminate your maintenance fees.
- STEER CLEAR of companies that promise legal help to deed back your week, or that state they can transfer your ownership to another party.
For Legitimate Resales
Grand Pacific Vacation Services is committed to YOU. We will walk you through the options available, simply call us at (877) 566-7519 or use our Live Chat.
If you feel you have been unfairly taken advantage of or defrauded by a timeshare exit company, please contact your state Attorney General, local law enforcement or the ARDA-ROC Consumer Support Team at 1-855-939-1515.